• 1 (9-ounce) package frozen artichoke hearts
• 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
• 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
• 3 scallions, thinly sliced
• 2 ounces finely grated Parmesan (1/2 cup)
• 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 1/2 tablespoons minced drained pickled jalapeno chiles
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
• 3/4 pound jumbo lump crab meat
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Cook artichoke hearts according to package instructions, then drain well and finely chop. 3. Cook bell pepper in 1-tablespoon butter in saucepan over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
4. Stir in artichokes and transfer mixture to a bowl.
5. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan over moderately low heat, then add flour and cook, stirring for 3 minutes.
6. Add half-and-half in a stream, whisking, and bring to a boil, whisking.
7. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking, 3 minutes.
8. Remove from heat and stir in artichoke mixture, scallions, 1/3 cup Parmesan, lemon juice, jalapenos, salt, and celery salt. Gently stir in crab.
9. Transfer to a buttered 1 1/2-quart shallow baking dish and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan.
10. Bake dip in middle of oven until bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm with crackers or bread choice.
Note: Dip can be prepared (but not baked) 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.