It’s hard to believe, but summer is almost over. Kids are starting to head back to school. You can make the adjustment easier on them-and you-by taking the following steps:
Step #1: Reintroduce routine
- Most of us put our regular routines aside in the summer in favor of flexible bedtimes, diets, and time.
- Instead of springing regular routine on your kids when school starts, gradually reintroduce structure to their lives several weeks before school begins.
- Reintroduce regular mealtimes, bedtimes, and wake-up times.
Step #2: Ramp up the reading
- While some kids love to read, others need prodding.
- If you have a child who needs to be reminded to read, set aside 30 minutes to one hour every day in which your child hits the book.
- Right before bedtime is a good time. This will get your child back into the habit of structured reading time.
Step #3: Be prepared
- Being prepared can ease a child’s return-to-school anxiety.
- Make a list of clothing, equipment, and supplies that your child will need, and purchase them before the first week of school.
- Taking your child with you on this errand can get him or her excited about the start of the school year!
Step #4: Get necessary appointments out of the way.
- If your child needs to go to the dentist or needs a physical, schedule them before school starts.
- Not only will this prevent your child from missing school for appointments, it will also ensure that your child starts the year off healthy.
Step #5: Make your child an appointment for a massage therapy session.
- Massage plays a key role in the quest for good health… at all ages.
- Make your child an appointment with us today, and ensure that he or she starts of the school year on the right foot!