2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, finely chopped, about 1/2 cup
3 cups vegetable broth
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin
1 1/2 cups skim milk
2 tablespoons prepared polenta, creamy
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4-1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 pinch salt and pepper
Serves 6 – 8
1. Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Cook chopped onions until soft and golden brown.
3. Heat the broth in a good-sized pot, add pumpkin slowly, and bring to a partial boil.
4. Stir in onions, milk, polenta, honey, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, salt, and pepper (pressed garlic might be suitable at this time).
5. Make sure that the ingredients do not clump but are spread throughout the soup.
6. Cook for about 5 minutes or longer until all ingredients have been thoroughly mixed and dissolved and so the soup is thoroughly heated.
7. If at this point it seems chunkier or thicker than desired; use an immersion blender or a regular one to liquefy the soup and blend in the onions.
8. Serve warm with pieces of bread if desired